Saturday, July 03, 2010

Family and the Half Way Mark

So here's an update on the family staying with us: I am going to miss them so much when they leave tomorrow. Mom and Aunt are off doing some shopping for the dinner tonight that they are going to prepare (which means I have to do the dishes, wouldn't be so bad if I could actually eat what they're going to make- remember that diet plan I'm on? yah).

Aunt Jeanie is this amazing woman (like all my aunts are, truly) who is starting to knit. I'm so excited but don't want to scare (is that the correct word?) about it. She wants to knit an afgan(sp?) and I want her to have fun doing it. We went to the local yarn shop downtown yesterday and she got some books (which she totally needs! *wink*).

Photobucket
They brought yummy avocados!

In the meantime I"ve been trying to do some things for the New Year Resolution Project. And what do I come up with? Well there was this really neat idea I found on the internet about rainbow cupcakes:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Not what you thought right? It was a blast to make and everyone loved them. They were made from scratch. And totally count as NYRP no. 50.  

HALF WAY THERE!!!

Now for my "Basic Yellow Cake" recipe:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup butter or margarine
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups milk

  1. Grease & Flour (lightly) two 8x1 1/2 inch or a 9x1 1/2 inch baking pan(s).
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Put aside for later.
  3. Beat butter (or margarine) on medium to high speed. Add sugar and vanilla, beat well. Add 1 egg at a time while beating.
  4. Combine dry mixture and milk to beating mix.
  5. Pour into prepared pan(s).
  6. Bake at 375 for 30-35 mins or till a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
For the cupcakes, just fill the cups half full and bake at same temp for 18-20 minutes. Makes about 30 cupcakes. I suggest mixing the colors like I did in the above picture, in separate bowls. If you want, put a few spoonfuls in each cup in different patters so they come out all unique and fun.

No comments: